Saturday, January 10, 2009

Nightly Lucidity Part Three

Last night, I had a rather intense dreaming experience. Though I do not understand the meaning of it or the correlation it has to my real life, I felt it would be a good idea to at least document it and share it. Before I tell you about the dream, keep in mind that, it is Saturday and I'd been waiting since Thursday to find out if my paycheck had arrived to my former workplace, the identity of which I will conceal by changing its name to RadioShed. Since RadioShed's corporate offices decided it would be safest to send the payroll checks for each store in one envelope by regular uncertified U.S. Mail, it is not always guaranteed that employees will receive their paychecks on payday. Ingenious, isn't it? Their argument is that, if you you want to be ensured money when it is expected, you should sign up for direct deposit. This is their way of playing their part in making sure that banks stay in business. It is an obligation bestowed unto everyone in the United States. Haven't you ever heard about the Ninth Day? Well, on the Ninth Day, God created the American to nourish banks and protect them from the ills of the world, even if it meant putting their own money into someone else's bank account. Before I go off on another tangent, the reason I had to wait for my paycheck instead of direct deposit is because I am no longer employed by RadioShed. Once you are no longer an employee of the company, a check is issued instead of being linked to your bank account and is sent to the store you no longer work in instead of to your address. Another ingenious idea.

In my dream, I dreamt that I had gone to RadioShed to pick up my paycheck and I had to walk through windy snow to get to the door. The wind was really strong and was making me walk more slowly. It was trying to push me away. I felt the snow on my neck and it felt colder than the usual snow. Once I opened the door of RadioShed, I immediately realized that I was dreaming. I remembered that I hadn't worked in this place since December and that the only reason I'd come here would be to get my paycheck and I remembered that no one had told me it had arrived yet. Once I realized I was dreaming, I decided to stay so I could have a little fun. The store looked exactly the same. The only difference was that the TVs were not the same as they really were. They were the old cathode-ray style. Also, the manager wasn't there. It was a manager from another RadioShed, whom I knew.

The girl I had worked with was there. I was really happy to see her for some reason. I'm always happy to see people I know when I'm in my dream, even though I've come to realize that they are not the same people I know. They are just representatives. I suddenly became overwhelmed with the urge to try to operate some of the electronics in the store. It's fascinating trying to operate machinery you use everyday while you're in a dream. Driving a car, for instance, can be very exhilerating or, if you're control level is not great enough, it can also be quite frustrating. At times, the pedals don't function or the road you're on moves instead of the car.

I picked up a wireless router to see if it would work and, then, I realized that that was too complex a device to be testing in my dream. If I could pick up a Wi-Fi connection in my dream world, I'd be living the sweet life. I walked over to the TVs and tried to push the button on the front of it, but it immediately became a cardboard prop version of a TV, similar to one you'd find in a model home or a furniture outlet. I then picked up an AM/FM/SW radio and turned the dial so it would turn on. Nothing happened. I then realized there was an electrical cord for it. I plugged one end into the back of the radio and then I tried looking for an electrical outlet. The outlets that I knew of were nowhere to be found. After searching a few moments, I finally found one on top of the checkout counter, which didn't really make sense, but what does in these situations? After I plugged it in, I heard a loud sound of static, which scared everyone in the store. I tried to adjust the channel and the static stopped. After a short moment, a gaseous shape spewed out from the speaker. It eventually shaped into a gaseous image of a man in a suit with a radio show microphone next to him. He didn't seem to be aware that I was watching him, but I sure knew he was there. He then began to talk as if he were on one of those nightly radio station book reading shows. I changed the channel again and the same thing happened, only a girl in a cowgirl outfit who looked like Shania Twain came out and sang a song with a voice similar to Shakira's.


I awoke from this dream with the sound of my phone receiving a text message from the real manager of RadioShed, telling me that my check had arrived. I think I might need a dream book for this one...

Photograph: RadioShed by Megan Dooling (Thanks bunches, sister!!)

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short urls with OUO and make money for every visitor to your short links.