Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Nightly Lucidity


Off and on, throughout the past few years of my life, I've been practicing the "art" of lucid dreaming. I'm not a very religiously-oriented person. However, I am not an atheist or an agnostic. I believe there is a God and I believe that there is definitely something beyond each of us besides the physical.

I put off lucid dreaming for the past two years or so and I just started again about a week ago. In that time, I've had a couple of dreams that were really intense. I had one dream where I was speaking with my grandmother, who passed away several years ago. In the dream, she had vocally reminded me of times I had spent with her during childhood, with details I never would have recalled otherwise. She had reminded me of a time when I was very little and my grandfather, who has been dead even longer than she has, let me sit on his lap while he'd drive. I don't think I've ever thought about that since the moment it had happened.

In another dream, there was an entire group of people, all openly discussing that we were all dreaming together. It was as if I went to a party and everyone who was there had just won the lottery. Everyone was so excited and smiling. One of the guys in my dream was Gary Oldman, whom I never think about unless I'm watching a movie that he's in. In this dream, Gary Oldman gathered all of the people (about 20) into a circle inside a grocery store. He then proceeded to explain the rules of this game called "Supermarket Shootout" for all those who hadn't played before. I was one of the people who hadn't. The guy next to me, an overly ecstatic guy, told me that it was his fourth time. Gary Oldman then explained that the object of the game was to shoot and kill as many people as you could, but, in order to win, you'd have to be the only person left. Gary Oldman was just the referee, I suppose. We then, somehow, all had automatic weapons in our hands. I don't recall ever picking one up. It was then explained to me, by the happy guy that he was so ecstatic because he could shoot people as much as he wanted without any real penalty. This, then, became oddly intriguing to me. He had a point. He then told me that, if I shoot someone, they might disappear because they can't handle the simulation of being shot and that they associate that simulation with actually being shot in real life, which causes them to wake up. After we dispersed throughout the supermarket and found our hiding spots, everyone began to fire their weapons, including me, of course. I figured I should probably take advantage of an opportunity like this when it arises. I remember about half the people disappeared within the first few moments of the game. Seeing people get shot looked awfully like the way it looks in real life, with the exception of the disappearances. I then got shot a bunch of times and I woke up. I woke up wondering if all of that was in my head or if I actually found the location of the infamous dream game, "Supermarket Shootout" along with these 20 other dreamers, including Gary Oldman.

No comments: