Sunday, December 7, 2008

Parallel Synchronized Randomness

It turns out that I'll probably be discussing film in most of my postings. For any of you who have allergies to reading about film, you may be excused. I wanted to discuss a fictional term used to describe a nonfictional phenomenon, known as Parallel Synchronized Randomness. If you've never seen the Michel Gondry film, La Science des Rêves (The Science of Sleep), you've probably never heard this term before. In the film, Gael García Bernal's character, Stéphane Miroux, has had a problem with merging his dreams into real life and vice versa. He uses the term, Parallel Synchronized Randomness, to describe a rare phenomenon that occurs when two people share a certain thought pattern simultaneously and randomly. Though the term may have been created by the scriptwriters for the film, the phenomenon definitely exists.


Here's an example. My sister, Becky, and I have these odd conversations that transform into giggles and silliness. I've noticed this on numerous occasions, but I can remember one example clearly. During Thanksgiving of this year, my sister and I were giggling and being silly (we were at that point in the odd conversation) and, simultaneously and completely randomly, we each said "Bobby!" with the same tone and facial expression. I felt as though I were having an aneurysm after that, since I was attempting to calculate the odds of what had happened. I still haven't figured it out. This has happened before, mostly with my sister, but, occasionally with a select few others. It's definitely one of the most bizarre phenomena I've ever witnessed firsthand, which says a lot, since I've witnessed firsthand about 3,876,342 other phenomena in my life. If this ever happens to you or if it has ever happened to you, please e-mail me your experience at DaveCB@optonline.net

Also, for those of you who like being exposed to films that challenge the mind, I definitely recommend this film. For those of you unfamiliar with Michel Gondry's work, he is also the director of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I posted a clip of La Science des Rêves (Don't worry. It's almost entirely in English) right underneath this, so you can gain some more exposure to some of what I just discussed. Enjoy!




No comments: