Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Wrestler


Darren Aronofsky, the independent film director of such films as Π, Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain, has a new movie called The Wrestler, which has a scheduled limited release on December 17th. I have absolutely no interest in amateur or professional "wrestling", but Aronofsky has never ceased to amaze me with his work, especially with Requiem for a Dream. He is definitely one of few actual visionary directors in the 21st century and there always seems to be a profound message behind all his creations. I'm definitely planning to see this when it comes out and I really hope I like it. I don't like losing faith in directors. I've found myself doing that quite frequently during the past few years. Guy Ritchie, for example, made Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, which were both amazing films, but then he had to go and make that retarded movie with Madonna, Swept Away. I wish he had swept that under his bed and never showed it to anyone. Because of that film, I was beyond skeptical when I heard that RocknRolla was a must-see.

I saw the trailer for The Wrestler when I saw Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire and I was impressed. I usually dislike Mickey Rourke, but I feel that there was a significant reason behind him being cast for the lead role. I also never thought much about Marisa Tomei, the female co-star of the film, aside from her attractiveness and her ridiculously slow aging process. After I saw Sidney Lumet's film, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, I realized that she is a very capable actress. I've posted the trailer underneath this for all of you to view.

No comments: